The Multiple-Family Residential zone applies to areas served by streets, public improvements and services designed to sustain multiple residential developments. The RM zone is designed to allow various density ranges (determined by the deciding body) depending on the particular characteristics of specific parcels, surrounding uses and project designs.
Find Zoning Requirements
Go to Chapter 29, Article IV, Division 6 of the Town Code to check the Zoning Requirements for R-M Zone or Multi-Family Residential Zone, or you may contact the Town of Los Gatos Community Development Department. Please supply the following information:
- Street address
- Nearest cross street
- Assessor's Parcel Number (APN number) if available
The following uses are permitted in a R-M zone:
- Single-family dwelling
- Two-family dwelling
- Small family day care home
- Residential care facility, small family home
- Multiple Family Dwellings and Condominiums (require Conditional Use Permits)
- *Additional uses may be allowed if a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is approved. Please contact the Community Development Department for further information.
Yes, the minimum distance between main buildings is 24'. There must be a minimum of 40' between any main building wall that contains living room windows and any other main building wall. Courts must have minimum 20' between opposing walls. If one of the opposing walls contains:
- Living room windows, the minimum distances is 40 feet
- Bedroom windows, the minimum distance is 24 feet
The minimum lot width and lot area in a R-M zone shall be the following:
- Minimum lot width … 60 feet
- Minimum lot area … 8,000 S.F.
Minimum Setback Requirements
(1) Front .....25 feet
(2) Rear ......20 feet
(3) Side, single-family and two-family dwellings .....8 feet
(4) Side, multiple-family dwellings .....10 feet
Provided that if the wall facing the side yard contains:
a. Bedroom windows .........12 feet
b. Living room windows .....20 feet
(5) Side abutting street ............20 feet
The maximum height of a principle building in the R-M zone is 30 feet (measured from the natural or finished grade, whichever is lower and creates a lower profile, to the uppermost point of the roof edge, wall, parapet, mansard, or other point directly above that grade). If a building has cellar parking the maximum height is 35 feet.
Note: The maximum height for accessory buildings is 15 feet (measured from the natural or finished grade, whichever is lower and creates a lower profile). Please contact the Community Development Department for further information.
The maximum building coverage in a RM zone including any type of accessory building is 40%.
Properties in R-M zones must have one of the following density ranges:
- R-M:5-12 (5 to 12 dwelling units per net acre)
- R-M:5-20 (5 to 20 dwelling units per net acre)
Recreational Open Space Requirements
Other than residential condominiums, multiple-family dwellings must provide 200 S.F. of total open space area usable for outdoor activities. This area is in addition to required yards and is a minimum requirement. This area shall be composed of private area, community areas or both, and may be in the form of balconies or decks, as determined by the deciding body. Any areas intended to serve as private open space shall be screened for privacy of the occupant. Please contact the Community Development Department for more information.
Some properties that are zoned RM have a Planned Development (PD) overlay zone. If your property is zoned R-M:5-12-PD or R-M:5-20-PD, please contact the Community Development Department for further information about Planned Development requirements.