Do I need a fire permit?

If your event meets any criteria listed below the organizer may need to obtain a Special Events permit from the Santa Clara County Fire Department.

  • Large gathering of the public for a festival or street fair.
  • Tent in excess of 400 square feet.
  • Tent with no sides in excess of 700 square feet.
  • Propane tank
  • Open flame
  • Haunted Houses
  • Pumpkin Patch
  • Tree Lots
  • Graduation Nights
  • Fireworks

It is the responsibility of the organizer to work with the SCCFD to obtain any necessary fire permits. There may be additional costs and requirements required by the SCCFD that the organizer must comply with. You can review the outdoor carnivals and fairs specifications document at: for more information. 

The organizer must submit proof of the permit application to the Events Specialist prior to the event. This application can be found at Please contact the SCCFD for additional information. At or (408) 378-4010.

Show All Answers

1. What are some of the event-related costs I can expect?
2. What should be included in my site map?
3. What is an event timeline?
4. What kind of insurance do I need?
5. What are the guidelines around advertising, promotion and notifications?
6. What if my event is in a park?
7. What are the security guidelines for events?
8. What are the first aid guidelines for events?
9. What are the set-up and clean-up event guidelines?
10. Do I need portable toilets?
11. What do I do with the event waste?
12. How do I access power and water for my event?
13. What is an encroachment permit?
14. Do I need a permit to sell or serve alcohol?
15. Do I need a fire permit?
16. Do I need a permit to sell or serve food?
17. What do I need to do for event parking?
18. What if I need to close a road for an event?
19. What is the road closure process?
20. How do I close N. Santa Cruz for an event?
21. What is a Traffic Control Plan (TCP)?
22. What type of equipment do I need to close a road?
23. What are examples of uniform traffic control equipment?