Almond Grove Project
Broadway (between W. Main Street and S. Santa Cruz Avenue), and Bachman Avenue (between Glen Ridge Avenue and N. Santa Cruz Avenue).
The second phase of the project is currently under design and includes the rehabilitation of remaining 8 streets within the Almond Grove Historic District.
We encourage interested parties to subscribe to the “NOTIFY ME” service located on the left hand side of this page in order to be notified immediately each time the project page is updated.
Construction Update on Almond Grove Phase I – Broadway and Bachman Avenue
Update posted 9/30/16 –
Broadway Paving Update – The first roadway segment of Broadway was poured on Thursday, September 29th.
During this phase of construction, there are several items we would like to point out:
- Working hours will be extended to allow the concrete crews to complete the placement and finishing of each section – you may see crews working until 7-8 pm.
- Traffic into and out of Broadway may experience delays as the concrete trucks will need to stop in the travel lane to empty their load for the new pavement section, and demo crews will be loading large trucks for the removal of the existing street. All efforts will be made to direct vehicles around the concrete trucks as quickly as possible. Please allow extra time getting into and out of Broadway during this phase of construction.
- The newly placed concrete roadway pavement receives a white surface coat which is a special curing compound to help moderate the curing process and provide a quality long term roadway.
- Sawcutting of the concrete into 6’ square sections will begin once the concrete has reached the appropriate cure point. This operation will be noisy and could happen at any time of the night or day, depending on when the concrete reaches the appropriate cure. We apologize in advance as this operation may occur during the nighttime hours.
- Garbage and recycling services may occur earlier in the morning, or later in the evening, but are still scheduled to occur on the regularly scheduled pick up day.
We request your cooperation in keeping vehicular traffic off of the new concrete until the contractor has determined the concrete has reached the appropriate strength and is re-opened. Please do not remove any barricades or caution tape. Although the new concrete pavement section can support pedestrian traffic as early as the day following the pour, for safety it is recommended that pedestrians use the sidewalks to navigate around the construction area.
TWO WEEK LOOK AHEAD
- Complete the removal and replacement of concrete roadway on the north side
- Begin the removal and replacement of the concrete roadway on the south side, beginning at the intersection of S. Santa Cruz Avenue
- Saw cut newly placed concrete roadway
- Notify residents/businesses 2 days in advance of any anticipated driveway closures
- Continue irrigation repairs in park strip
- Complete the removal/replacement of curb, gutter, sidewalk, accessibility ramps, and driveway approaches on all of Bachman Avenue
- Potential storm drain installation
- Conduit installation along the south side of Bachman Avenue.
- Continue park strip backfill and irrigation repairs.
- Complete miscellaneous minor concrete and conform work
Update posted 9/23/16 –
Broadway Paving Plan Update – The first roadway segment of Broadway to be removed and replaced will begin demolition on Monday, September 26th. Door hangers were distributed on Friday to those residents and businesses whose property access will be affected by the construction that will begin Monday. The residents and businesses who received the door hangers will need to prepare to be without vehicular driveway access to/from Broadway for the period of time shown on the door hangers. Those properties on the north side of Broadway between S. Santa Cruz and 50 Broadway will be the first to be impacted. As the work progresses on Broadway, Vanguard Construction will provide the 2 day advance notice door hangers to those properties whose future access will be affected. The door hangers will identify the anticipated time frame of the restricted access and will provide a contact for any questions. All efforts will be made to re-open driveway access as quickly as possible, depending on the cure time of the concrete as placed.
We request your cooperation in keeping vehicular traffic off of the new concrete until the contractor has determined the concrete has reached the appropriate strength and is re-opened.
Update posted 9/9/16 –
Broadway Paving Plan Update - The current paving plan anticipates the removal and placement of the Broadway pavement in 5 segments. The first segment to be removed and replaced will be on the north side of Broadway between S. Santa Cruz Avenue and 50 Broadway. The second section would include the north side of Broadway between 56 Broadway to W. Main Street. Based on weather, condition of the subgrade, and actual production rates of the crews, the paving schedule for the south side of Broadway will be finalized and communicated to residents and businesses once the work on the north side is substantially completed. The south side is anticipated to be completed in 3 segments in order to maintain continual access to Clifton Avenue. The south side schedule will be communicated to residents and businesses via door hangers and will also be posted on this project page.
On September 19th, Vanguard crews will begin preparing Broadway for the actual pavement demolition and reconstruction. Survey crews will be providing the necessary control for the paving project, saw cut crews will be cutting the pavement for removal, and the final storm drain and conduit work will be completed. This work will take place on the entire length of the street, from S. Santa Cruz Avenue to W. Main Street.
Residents and businesses on the north side of Broadway will need to be prepared to be without vehicular driveway access to/from Broadway for an extended period of time, beginning on or around September 26th. Those properties on the north side of Broadway between S. Santa Cruz and 50 Broadway will be the first to be impacted. Similar to the notification process used for the previous driveway closures, Vanguard Construction will provide door hangers to each property two days in advance of the anticipated closure indicating the estimated closure period.
All efforts will be made to re-open driveway access as quickly as possible, depending on the cure time of the concrete as placed. We request your cooperation in keeping vehicular traffic off of the new concrete until the contractor has determined the concrete has reached the appropriate strength and is re-opened.
Reminder Regarding Park Strip Improvements – As a reminder, the Almond Grove Street Reconstruction Project includes the removal of any hardscape, such as brick walkways or pavers, located in the park strip area between the curb and sidewalk. At the property owner’s request, Vanguard will make every attempt to salvage bricks, pavers, or other hardscape and stack these in the driveway for the property owner’s future use. The project will not be replacing any hardscape or other private improvements that were previously installed in this area. Should a property owner wish to reinstall the hardscape following the completion of the project, a no fee encroachment permit and an agreement for the installation of the private improvements in the public right of way would be required from the property owner prior to any re-installation of hardscape in this area. Should you wish to obtain a no-fee encroachment permit for re-installation of private hardscape improvements in the park strip area, please contact Michelle Quinney, Special Projects Manager email@example.com.
Update posted 9/9/16 – The removal and replacement of the Broadway concrete roadway section is now scheduled to begin the week of September 19th. The current proposal is to complete the work in 5 to 6 separate segments, beginning at the intersection with S. Santa Cruz and working uphill toward Main Street. The current schedule anticipates approximately one week for the removal and replacement of the roadway in each segment (barring any inclement weather or other unforeseen delays), with an additional 10-12 days required for the concrete to cure before driveway access to properties in each segment can be restored. The segments on one side of Broadway will be completed and allowed to cure before relocating traffic onto the new roadway and beginning the removal and replacement of the segments located on the other side of the street. It has not yet been determined if the work will begin on the south or north side of Broadway, but as the paving plan is developed in more detail, the location and schedule for the reconstruction of each segment will be posted on this webpage. Access to properties on Clifton Avenue and Broadway Extension will be provided throughout the street reconstruction process and emergency access will always be accommodated. Residents, businesses, and property owners on Broadway, Broadway Extension, and Clifton Avenue will be receiving a letter early next week regarding the upcoming construction.
Although it may become tempting to cross barricades and drive onto or across the newly placed pavement, we are asking everyone’s help to refrain from driving on the new surface until the project team has determined that the concrete has cured sufficiently and the barricades have been removed.
The Bachman Avenue roadway reconstruction will be scheduled following the completion of the curbs, gutters, sidewalks, ramps, and underground work
Update posted 9/2/16 – The schedules for the concrete pavement removal and replacement on Broadway and Bachman are still being developed and will be posted to this page soon. See the “Two Week Look Ahead” section for anticipated construction activities within the next two weeks.
A list of Frequently Asked Questions resulting from the meeting and regarding the construction project can be found in the following link:
Phase I Construction FAQs
If you have questions regarding the construction of this project, please contact Michelle Quinney, Special Projects Manager, at (408) 827-3552 or MQuinney@LosGatosCA.gov
Please click on the following links for additional information regarding the Broadway and Bachman Avenue construction project:
• Resident/Business Owner meeting agenda – April 24th and 25th, 2016
• Resident/Business Owner presentation slides – April 24th and 25th, 2016
• Resident/Business Owner meeting – door hangers – April 11, 2016
• Resident/Business Owner meeting letter – April 11, 2016
• Town Council award of contract – February 16, 2016
Almond Grove Project Phase I Design Information
Please click on the following links for information related to the design of the Almond Grove Project.
If you have questions regarding the design of the Almond Grove Project, please contact Lisa Petersen, Town Engineer, at (408) 399-5773 or LPetersen@LosGatosCA.gov
- Powerpoint Presentation on 5/21/14
- Follow-up from the community meeting on 5/21/14
- Update - August 8, 2014
- Powerpoint Presentation on 10/28/14 (repeated on 11/13/14)
- Conceptual Design Report
- Update - November 26, 2014
- Memo to HPC
- Council Report 2/19/15
- Bachman Ave. meeting Notice
- Broadway meeting Notice
- Council Report 5/19/15
- Almond Grove Vote Tally Map
- June 16, 2015 Staff Report
- Broadway & Bach Pre-Con meeting notification door hanger (April 11, 2016)
- Bachman Pre-con Meeting notification letter (April 11, 2016)
- Broadway Pre-Con Meeting notification letter (April 11, 2016)
- FAQ's on the project
Almond Grove Phase I - Plans, Specifications & RFP
Please note that the Plans and Specifications shown below are for information only and should not be used for bidding purposes.
Project #13-31 Almond Grove Street Reconstruction Phase I (Asphalt)
Project #13-31 Almond Grove Street Reconstruction Phase I (Concrete)