Planning Commission has reviewed the Draft Objective Standards and made recommendations for additional modifications. Those modifications will be prepared for review by Town Council by the end of the year
Town Council - Date to be Determined
The Town of Los Gatos is developing objective standards for the review of multi-family housing and mixed-use development applications. This effort is in response to State legislation requiring jurisdictions to adopt objective standards and to implement them in a streamlined review of qualifying housing projects.
What Are Objective Standards?
Objective standards are defined under State law as “standards that involve no personal or subjective judgement by a public official and are uniformly verifiable by reference to an external and uniform benchmark or criterion available and knowable by both the development applicant or proponent and the public official prior to submittal” (California Government Code, Section 65913.4).
Objective standards are a powerful tool that allow communities to respond to State housing laws that are reducing local control of development. They provide an opportunity to ensure that the appearance of new development is compatible with the Town’s vision.
The purpose of developing objective standards is to:
- Comply with recent State housing legislation;
- Implement streamlined and ministerial review processes for qualifying projects;
- Ensure that qualifying projects align with the Town’s expectations and vision to maintain and support the character of the Town;
- Provide a set of clear criteria to guide development; and
- Establish an objective framework by which a qualifying project will be evaluated.
The above information is available on this downloadable Facts Sheet.
Materials from Previous Meetings
Planning Commission subcommittee (July through December 2021)
May 12, 2022 Meeting Materials
February 22, 2022 Meeting Materials:
Planning Commission Meetings
June 22, 2022 Meeting Materials:
July 27, 2022 Meeting Materials:
August 24, 2022 Meeting Materials:
- Staff Report with Exhibits 9-12
- Addendum with Exhibit 13
- Desk Item with Exhibits 14-15
- YouTube Recording
September 14, 2022 Meeting Materials: