Student Success Initiative SSI
The Los Gatos Library is partnering with local schools to improve access to educational and recreational materials through a project called the Student Success Initiative. Between 2017 and 2019, we issued more than 2000 library cards through this program. Our goal is for every student in Los Gatos to obtain and use a library card.
Education Research supports:
• Children who have library cards and use the library perform better in school;
• Public library staff help students learn how to perform age-appropriate Internet searches, use online resources for homework help using free, public-access computers;
• A library card is the most important school supply of all.
We have included some Frequently Asked Questions below. If you would like more information, please contact Jennifer Laredo at email@example.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
What is SSI?
In early 2017, the Los Gatos Library was selected to participate in a program created by the Pacific Library Partnership (PLP) to address the issue of access for students in using free resources provided by their local Library. The goal of the program is to give the ability for students to use their Student ID card as their Library card.
What can my child do with this new Student ID/Library card?
With a Student ID Library card your child can:
● Check out books, movies, music, magazines, and other Library resources
● Use Library computers or check-out in-house laptops for 2 hours per day
● Access electronic resources such as research databases, scholarly articles, eBooks/eAudiobooks, foreign language learning tutoring, and movies.
Is my child’s school participating? Which number is my child’s Library card number?
As of the 19/20 school year, the following schools are participating:
- Los Gatos High School – Student ID cards are library cards
- Fisher Middle School – Student ID cards are library cards
- Blossom Hill Elementary – Student ID numbers are library card numbers
- Daves Avenue Elementary – Student ID numbers are library card numbers
- Lexington Elementary – Student ID numbers are library card numbers
- Louise Van Meter Elementary – Student ID numbers are library card numbers
What information will be collected? Will it be shared?
What if my child already has a Library card?
If your child already has a Library card, we will still create an account using their Student ID. Your student can then choose which account to use.
Do I need to sign up every year?
No. Students retain the same ID number each year and they are able to use it as a Library card through graduation.
When will my child's school be getting Library cards?
We are excited to work with every school in Los Gatos. We hope to get to your school soon. Please feel free to come in and get your child an account at any time, while you are waiting.