Applying for a Building Permit
Before you get started, do you know what permit you need to apply for? If you're not sure, check out our new Permit Decision Tool! It will help you determine why type of permit you will need! Otherwise, follow the steps below.
- Become an Accela Citizen Access registered user. Head to the Accela Citizen Portal and register with your email address. You’ll receive a confirmation email to your inbox. Once you confirm, you’re ready for step 2!
- Already have an account? Go to Manage My Records to log in. You can check the status of your existing permits or move to step 2 to start a new application.
- Complete a pre-application, which includes submitting your application forms, plans, documents, and other project-related materials. Staff will review your materials to ensure your file contains all the materials necessary for your project to be reviewed. You may consider checking out the submittal guidelines as you prepare your plans.
- Resolve fees for your application. Once your file has everything needed, it will move on from being a pre-application to a full application. You will be asked to pay associated fees online via credit card. Alternatively, you can mail a check or come into our office during counter hours (8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to pay for the associated fees. Then your project will be assigned to the appropriate staff for review.
- Responding to comments & collaborating with staff. Through the ACA platform, you can receive comments, marked-up plans, provide resubmissions, and other activities related to the review of your application. We encourage you to collaborate with staff via email.
We are excited to offer services that safely keep our community moving forward!
The Building Division does not accept Plan Check Submittals or Resubmittals by FedEx, UPS or any other mail courier.
Other Associated Links
- California Building Officials
- California Building Standards Commission
- California Energy Commission
- Certified Access Specialist List
- Contractors State License Board
- International Code Council
- ICC Evaluation Services
- Peninsula Chapter -ICC
- Santa Clara County Fire Department
- Santa Clara Valley Water District
- Santa Clara County Environmental Health (click on consumer protection division)
- Silicon Valley Clean Energy eHub
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
- West Valley Sanitation District