CERT (Community Emergency Response Team)
Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Our Mission Statement
The Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Community Emergency Response Team (LGMS CERT) is an all-volunteer, community-based emergency preparedness organization, supported by and operating within the command structure of the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Department. The primary mission of LGMS CERT is to provide support and assistance to our communities and emergency services personnel during emergencies or disasters. But an equally important mission is to increase the overall level of disaster readiness by training and educating individuals within the communities of Los Gatos and Monte Sereno in emergency preparedness and basic disaster response techniques.
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) is one of the most visible Town emergency preparedness programs, sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This 21-hour course offers training in disaster preparation response and recovery skills.
During disasters, police and fire department personnel may be unavailable to respond to all emergency events. CERT members may be called upon to serve in their neighborhoods, as well as areas outside of their immediate neighborhoods.
CERT, under the direction of the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police Department, has identified CERT neighborhoods and is establishing Neighborhood Incident Command Posts to assist CERT members with emergency response efforts during a disaster.
Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness
Find out about a Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness Meeting with your Neighborhood
In an emergency, the last thing you want to think about is how to prepare, you want to be prepared already, to have a plan in place.
- Learn about Personal Emergency Preparedness
- Meet your neighborhood Community Emergency Response Team
- Learn about your Neighborhood Incident Command Post and how would it help you in a disaster
- How can you help when a disaster strikes
Questions can be emailed to Jrose@losgatosca.gov or 408-354-6853
Note: Future meetings are being scheduled upon neighborhood interest.
CERT Semi Annual Drill - Saturday, May 6, 2023 10AM - 2 PM at Lyndon Plaza
We are looking for CERT members and Volunteers who would like to learn how the Town may operate during a disaster.
- Learn how the Town Emergency Operations Center may operate and experience the handling of CERT reports of emergency events.
- Provide the CERT teams and volunteers the opportunity to practice responding to the initial simulated impact of an earthquake, allocate CERTs and volunteers to cover multiple tasks as time passes until more internal resources become available.
- Learn and practice clear channels of communication during a disaster.
- Experience the difficulties of coordinating all of the response efforts, the time involved, and understand the scope of the most basic needs during a disaster.
- No business operations will be affected.
Prepare for Wildfire: Ready, Set, Go Webinars
Topics for this presentation will include:
- Red Flag Warnings and Responding to Extreme Fire Conditions
- Creating Defensible Space and Fire Safe Landscaping
- Making Your Home More Fire Resistant
- Creating a Wildfire Action Plan
- Evacuation Planning
- Programs and Services to Build Fire Resilient Communities
Santa Clara County Fire Emergency Preparedness & Safety Adult Series Free Training
Are You Prepared for a Medical Emergency?
- Recognize medical emergencies and when to call 9-1-1. Learn how to report 9-1-1 emergencies and what to do before help arrives. Be prepared with completed medical documents and explore resources for family members and hired caregivers. Instructor: Fire Dept.
Crime Prevention & Home Fire Safety:
- Protect against fraud and identity theft. Discuss personal safety and home security protection methods. Identify suspicious activity and know when to report it. Understand fire risks and practice safety habits to prevent fires. Develop a home escape plan. Instructors: Law Enforcement & Fire Dept.
Fall Prevention & Wellness Resources:
- Identify fall risks and learn simple and effective home modifications to prevent falls. Get connected with community resources to maintain safety and wellness. Meet local firefighters and see the fire engine and equipment. Instructor: Stanford Health Care & Fire Dept.
Be Ready: Be Prepared for Disasters
- Learn about Bay Area disaster risks, how to make a plan and prepare for a disaster, disaster supply kit contents, and how to stay informed during and after the disaster. Learn about important communication systems and how to communicate with your support network during a disaster. Instructor: Fire Dept.
For more information, search our safety & emergency classes at: Santa Clara County Fire Department
Become A CERT Member
You can find your CERT neighborhood by viewing the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno CERT Neighborhood Map.
This course is designed to be a fun, interactive learning experience for adults of all ages. The final session is an exercise that includes a disaster drill and fire extinguisher training. Please confirm your attendance, as seats are limited. All Sessions are required to graduate. There is a $35 Fee for the CERT Academy. For more information on the CERT program please contact Jackie Rose, Community Outreach Coordinator at (408) 354-6853 or e-mail Santa Clara County Fire email@example.com
Spring CERT Academy Dates
|Date||CERT Academy (In-Person||Times||Location|
|5/2/23||Disaster Preparedness||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
|5/4/23||CERT Organization & Fire Safety||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
|5/9/23||Light Search & Rescue||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
|5/11/23||Disaster Medical Operations I||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
|5/16/23||Disaster Medical Operations II||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
|5/18/23||Disaster Psychology & Terrorism||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
|5/20/23||Hands-on Skills Training & Graduation||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Quinlan Community Center|
Summer/Fall 2023 Academy Schedule