A front view of the Los Gatos Carnegie Library, which opened its doors to the public on September 25, 1903.
This building at 14 University Ave. was constructed in 1903 with a $10,000 Carnegie grant providing a major part of the funding.
In 1906, Librarian Henrianna Rankin set aside one corner of the library for children's use.
The "new" library in the American Legion building opened in 1954 with 17,000 books.
Large windows in this corner of the library made for a pleasant reading space.
In May, 1954, the Town Council voted to purchase the American Legion building on the north side of East Main Street to house the library.
Librarian John Schmuck checks back-issues of newspapers archived in the library.
Librarian John Schmuck assists a library patron
Pre-computers, card catologs provided access to the library's collections by title, author or subject.